Sunday, September 20, 2009

And now for the most brutal thing about pregnancy...




Not being able to wear my high heels. I have been chugging water, cutting back on salty food, even wearing my husband’s compression socks and elevating feet at night to keep my them at the perfect size 7, extra wide, that they were before week 31 of my pregnancy.

One thing everyone asks (and I mean everyone) on almost a daily basis is “How are you feeling”? And my answer has been, “Great! I am so lucky, I haven’t had hardly any issues.”

Until last week. I was in Von Maur, on my way to the infant section, when I walked passed beautiful leopard print strappy stilettos, and turned right back around. I took a seat and salivated while waiting for the salesman to show up with the glorious box of my soon to be new shoes. When he arrived with several sizes to try (to accommodate my mid-afternoon feet puffing), I was full of glee. I wasn't worried about not fitting into the half size bigger. But I started feeling panicky when access was denied to the size 8 and* almost* near tears when the size and a half would, indeed, slip on, but the shoes were laughably ski-like.

I know it’s petty to feel this way. And, I surmise that this is nature’s way of preparing me that post-delivery, it’s not all about me and my shoe collection. (Although one of my primary fears about pregnancy has always been that my shoes would not fit afterwards.) But for all of you shoe lovers out there, I did have to take a moment of silence to acknowledge the loss so I can move on… and focus on the baby room. That is, after I found a super-cute comfy pair of size 9 Ugg booties to salve the small wound in my heart.

P.S. I did actually find a cute pair of shoes that will accommodate my foot swelling and save me from wearing flip flops to the office. Check out this pair of pointy-toe nude Jessica Simpson kitten heels and stay tuned for more on comfort and maternity style!

No comments:

Post a Comment